Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Its not Fair!


Even though I know better, sometimes life just doesn’t seem fair!  This is especially true when I feel wronged by someone else.  This issue of fairness is found in a parable of the laborer in the vineyard (Matthew 20).  A householder of a vineyard hires people all through the day; the first hour, the third hour, the sixth hour, the ninth hour, and the eleventh hour.  He offers each person a penny a day regardless of what time they started working.  Some only worked an hour while others worked the entire day.  At the end of the day, those that worked all day complained because they were not rewarded more than those who worked less. 

Matthew 20:10-16  But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house, Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.  But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?  Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.  Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?  

I don’t necessarily feel I deserve extra blessing because I work harder or longer than others, but sometimes others actions have caused me to suffer in the heat of the day.  It doesn’t seem fair that I or those I love should have to suffer for the choices of someone else.  If feels unjust!

I guess the question is, what does justice look like?  Is it just that one person should suffer for the sins of others?  Is it fair that some people can commit horrible crimes and them be completely forgiven and cleansed without having to suffer for them?  Is it fair that those who labor for only an hour will get the same reward as those who labor all day?  If all was fair and just, it would not be looking real good for me!

Romans 3:19-20, 23 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin… For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Justice completely condemns me!  I really don’t deserve any more than this. Condemnation really is fair; by one little mistake I am guilty of the whole law (James 2:10) and I have made lots of mistakes.  But luckily, life is not fair!  One man did suffer for the sins of many.  The crimes I commit can be forgiven and I do not have to suffer for them if I repent.  No matter how long I labor, I will be rewarded for the labor I perform.  

Romans 8:1-3 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Even though I can see that I don’t want justice to apply to me, I sometimes really want it to apply to others.  I have suffered for others sins, horrible crimes have been committed against me, and I have labored in the heat of the day!  In Matthew 18, there is a parable of a king and his servant.  The servant owed 10,000 talents (30,000,000 shekels) to the king.  The servant begged for mercy and the king being filled with compassion forgave the whole debt.  This same man who was forgiven went to collect a debt owed to him in the amount of 100 pence (10,000 shekels) by a fellow servant.  His fellow servant also begged for mercy, but the first servant demanded justice and sent him to prison.  When the king found out what this servant had done to his fellow servant, the first servant was likewise sent to jail to pay off his debt. 

Like the first servant, my debt to God is bigger than what any other person could ever owe me.  In other words I have wronged him more than I have been wronged.  I have caused him to suffer for the crimes I have committed; Christ has suffered through the heat of the day because of me.  He has had to unjustly suffer for every mistake I have made.  When I demand justice for the wrongs towards me, I am no different than the first servant in this parable.  Christ paid the price and so he is the one who decides the wages, not me.  The reality is that I am really no different than my offender.  Fairness would mean that neither I nor my offender is saved; justice would condemn us both to hell.  No, its not fair and for that I will be forever grateful! 

3 comments:

  1. This goes perfectly in hand with what I studied this morning in Benson's talk on pride. He said that pride is competitive in nature and also that we put ourselves above others when we are prideful. Isn't it a relief to know that we are only accountable for ourselves? But darn it, it's hard to not judge others sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was awesome Brenda!! Thank you so much for your perspective on this. Now I'm going to go back and re-read it, it was that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Brenda!!! Love it! It's so easy for us to say what we think someone else deserves, but what about us? If not for CHRIST we would be condemned and in GOD'S eyes, that would have been exactly what we deserved. Well my dear, love conquers all...even fairness!!!! Love is justice!!!!! Thank you so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete